vision for a new equine studies program

As I have written before, I come from a unique position. The current equine sciences program at my organization must expand to meet the needs of students. The challenge comes in the form of appropriately shuffling faculty and funds to make this happen. I am not in a decision making position, but I am in a role in which I could provide my thoughts.

My vision is to have a 10 horse teaching team at the current facility on campus. These horses will be of a variety of ages and levels of training. Each year some of them will be sold by the students and those horses will be replaced with more animals from the university breeding farm that is run separately of the main campus. Students will be responsible for the care and maintenance of this 10 horse herd. A faculty advisor will be at the farm during the week to teach classes and provide guidance to the students. The model is 'horse as teacher.' Faculty and teachers assistants will help to guide students to learn from the horses.

From a technology standpoint, there will be a live webcam down to the breeding farm during foaling seasons that will allow students to virtually attend the births of new foals. The farm on campus will be managed by a software that compiles and organizes information on every horse allowing for streamlined care.
Image may contain: horse, tree, outdoor and natureImage result for horse students

Comments

  1. "Horse as teacher" - that is powerful. Brings to mind "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a boy." There is a boarding in California that I have the utmost respect for, Thacher School, which engages and empowers the student body through their horse program - you might enjoy taking a look: https://www.thacher.org/page/programs/horse

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment