Reflection on Part Two of Leadership and Technology

EDCI 325 at UVM has been less relevant to my teaching and more relevant to life. This is the second reflection that I submitted.


“Innovate or die.” Right in chapter one of the Innovator’s Mindset. For me, the last several weeks have been less about learning to lead people through tough changes that have to be made and more about learning to come up with meaningful changes. Both of these concepts are very necessary skills, but I have had less practice coming up with innovations and plans for implementation. In the last year I have helped to lead part of my institution through some very difficult and uncomfortable changes. The first few weeks of this class caused me to reflect extensively on the experience. In many ways I helped shape the change, but in many ways the transition changed me and my mindset. That was the tough, necessary stuff, and we are through much of it now. Now is when we must innovate to move forward. In fact, without innovation I don’t think we can move forward.
            I am still fully grasping the extent of the change that must occur to successfully integrate the farm where I work into the greater UVM Animal Science program. When it is zero degrees, nothing goes according to plan, and I find myself doing morning chores until noon, I start to feel overwhelmed. It starts to feel next to impossible to get ahead. In week seven, as I looked through the vision artifacts of others, I realized what I was lacking was a clear vision. Yes, I had written a paragraph for voice thread, and yes, I had spent countless hours day dreaming about this future, improved program, but I hadn’t actually sat down and organized. My vision needed to be somewhere other than my brain. When I started to see my vision on my screen while using OneNote, my motivation was reinvigorated. I want this. In the Science Leadership Academy artifact, Chris Lehman says, “we have to stop talking about it.” He was talking about using technology as a vehicle for learning. People make a big deal out of using a particular tool, but as educators we just need to make technology another part of our learning spaces. I had put this quote in my notes and it only resonated as I was creating my own vision artifact. I needed to stop getting so worked up about the type of program I was using and whether or not I had worked in enough elements of technology. I asked myself how technology could enhance and communicate my vision and went from there.
            For my vision to come to fruition, I will need to continue to grow personally, in my horsemanship and as a teacher. “Perhaps the amazing thing we can do is make growth mandatory- for ourselves as educators, as well as for our students. That is how we can truly serve our children” (Ch.1, Curous). It is never about me. It is about something greater and that is not to be forgotten. So often at the university level, I hear stories and see professors losing sight of the idea that the university was created first and foremost for education. Research is important, but freshman biology can’t be taught as an afterthought. It would be so unjust for me to teach students to work with horses because it was a way for me to have my own projects funded. Up until this point, most of the work I’ve done teaching young, abused and spoiled horses, has been the horse and me. It has been about the horse and helping it learn to get along with people and think a little bit better. Note: horses are flight animals. Instinctively, they don’t naturally think a whole lot. I have done a bit of work with people students working with horse students and it is incredibly challenging. However, it is my new reality. I must drop the notion that I will get all of the horses taught as best and as fast as possible. They are a medium for the students to learn with. The idea that I must embody is that the students will be taught to learn from horses. The students will be taught clear communication and leadership. Empathy will be required of them. If I can teach these students all these things, the horses will turn out brilliantly.
            This shift in my identity as a horsewoman is powerful. George Curous wrote in chapter 2 of the Innovator’s Mindset that “innovation is not about the stuff. It is a way of thinking.” This isn’t about breeding the nicest horses to be worked with by students in the nicest facility. It is about creating a safe space for students to learn skills that will carry them through their lives with horses and beyond. There is so much more to learn and innovate. This week one of my classmates tweeted a quote from Jennifer Lagarde. “But that’s the thing about learning, isn’t it?.... We do the best we can until we know better. Then we do better.” I must continue to learn and to innovate in order to continue to do better. However, my best right now will be good enough for today, just as long as I don’t become content with this version of my best. One of the most powerful parts of the last eight weeks has been looking at what I know now and what I knew just a year ago. My knowledge and abilities have grown exponentially. It is hard to even fathom what I might be able to know and innovate five years from now. It is exciting and motivating.
            As educators, it is our duty to set our students up for a life of learning. Curous writes of educators being a “guide on the side” to students to “support them in a way that encourages them to find their own solutions.” Learning, reflection and mindful practice have become entrenched in my life in the last few years. New knowledge and ways to implement it are exciting. I seek out learning opportunities. This is a hunger that I want to share with my future students. Knowledge leads to empowerment and that is such a beautiful feeling. I want to help my students build up their toolbox so they can walk into any situation with a horse and flourish. Set them up, and then step away. Really, once one can establish powerful softness and clear communication with horses, one can be successful in most situations with people.
            As I move forward mindfully, as a guide, and not a manual of instructions, I will make mistakes and students will make mistakes. Mark Rashid is a renowned horseman and practices the art of aikido. He posted something on facebook last week that really resonated. “While practicing kindness with our horses, it’s also important to remember to practice kindness with ourselves. Mistakes are learning opportunities, not the end of the world.” Sometimes we use up our kindness and forgiveness on others and forget about ourselves. We lose a great opportunity for growth if we don’t make mistakes and reflect on them. Innovation is the unknown. We don’t know how new ideas will work out. We must be kind enough to ourselves to say “hey that’s ok, let’s try again” or “I think we need to adjust some things before we try again,” instead of “that didn’t work, I was wrong.”
            Over halfway through this class and at age 24, I know where I want to go, and I have very little idea of how I am going to get there. What I do know, is that I have all the faith in the world in my ability to learn and find answers. I know that I will continue to learn better and that I will use my ideas of today to build on my ideas and mistakes of yesterday. I am empowered, and isn’t that what matters?

Two of my students on two of my personal horses
Image may contain: horse and outdoor

Comments