What's next

"Innovation is a process, not a product"
-George Couros

The Innovator's Mindset is responsible for a complete shift in my thinking. My mind is constantly connecting principles from the book to parts of my life. For example, the farm employs a teenager that can be a bit of a handful. Last week I had to move an two pieces of equipment that are really big (700 lbs) and awkward. They were sort of shoved in a corner behind something that we couldn't move. This kid is pretty good with a tractor and this kind of project is right up his alley. I had no idea how we were going to do this and it was up to me to get it done. So I took a step back and asked him to figure it out. I told him to tell me what to do, and that's just what he did. I was there to make sure he didn't try anything dangerous (a possibility with this kid), but I allowed him to make a plan and I got to learn. While there are many employees at the farm instead of students right now, I am starting to use them as practice more and more. Fortunately, all of our employees have areas of interest and are open to learning. They all bring a unique set of skills, some more relevant than others, that are interesting and educational to incorporate. This book has helped me manage people. I look for ways to play to their strengths instead of just randomly assigning tasks. Every one of them has shown real satisfaction when they have taught me something or done something that I couldn't do. I think it is because they feel like they have made a valuable contribution. 

What will I do moving forward? More of the same, and then some. While my mindset has changed drastically, I don't think it would be effective for my leadership and teaching to change quite so quickly. Additionally, I want all of the changes I make to be mindful and worthwhile. Steven Johnson was quoted about "the strange and beautiful truth about the adjacent possible." He uses the analogy of an ever expanding house. Opening one door leads to other doors which lead to other doors. "Eventually you'll have built a palace." If I make a conscious decision to provide new or different opportunities to every employee, student and horse I work with, what else can become possible? If our employees are learning and feel valuable, they will be better invested in what the farm is trying to accomplish. This would be HUGE in increasing productivity. If I strive to give voice and choice to every student I teach in the future, they will be more invested in their own learning.



Most importantly, I will continue my own learning. Since I started riding horses, I have been a student of the horse. For the last five years I have taken very regular lessons and participated in clinics. I ask questions of the vet and blacksmith, I read book after book. All of that is very important in improving my horsemanship. However, I now have teaching to continue to learn about. The most fantastic thing about all of this is the overlap between horsemanship, leadership, teaching and life. With a little extra thought, I can connect new knowledge in one area to another part of my life. There is so much that I don't even begin to know and that is the most exciting part. 

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Love this blog! Again, the authenticity and willingness to honestly reflect and share those reflections - it is a joy to read. I, too, have found Innovator's Mindset impacting my working relationships within my department. The pride of "ownership" in deciding how to craft a project as well as the increased investment in that project are direct results I have witnessed. Sometimes that step back is exactly what you need to help someone (and your organization) move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, it really seems like you are focusing on the process more than the product! I think you are introducing all of the correct opportunities for people to learn, and for you to learn from them. It seems like there are many opportunities to learn on the farm that don't necessarily need to be tied to a large objective, but will encourage and empower the existing skills within the employees to continue to grow, and be motivated by the act of learning in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great example of how your thinking has shifted! It's interesting to think about the ways that teaching and management overlap---I think they do, a lot. I've read before about the ways to find satisfaction in your work, and those feelings of growth and empowerment you cite above are definitely key.

    I also like your idea that we can change a bit at a time, becoming better without drastically changing our practice. I feel like I too am a work in progress, becoming better a bit at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment